Using multiple remotes can feel like trouble. Instead, if you can use one remote to control your TV and your soundbar. It just takes a little setup to get started. Here, we’ll show you how you can ace it like a pro.
If you were wondering whether you can keep control of both your TV and your soundbar’s remote, you’ll be delighted to know that it’s possible. There are multiple ways you can follow to make it happen. The best way is to use a universal remote that works on your soundbar.
However, you need to also keep in mind that the procedure may vary from one brand to another. Hence, refer to your particular soundbar’s brand while following our guidelines. The process won’t take more than five minutes. So, without any further delay, let’s get started.
Do universal remotes work with soundbars?
Yes, usually universal remotes work with most soundbars. And there are several ways you can choose to make it work. Some of the most common ways are through IR technology, HDMI ARC and digital fibre optical cable. Depending upon your device and equipment, the process could be as easy as connecting a few cables.
The process will finally depend upon the type of soundbar you have. Since most soundbars come equipped with IR technology, we are giving you an insight into how you can easily use them. This technology is very popular among remote controllers as well.
IR Technology has many applications. It is commonly found in electronics like TVs. And if you want to make use of IR technology to use your universal remote, you need a few components that are mentioned below.
- IR Sender/Blaster: Usually, it comes equipped in remotes.
- IR Receiver: You will find this equipment in your soundbar.
- IR Decoder: It uses many protocols such as RC-5 or SIRC that help you to control the volume of your soundbar.
There are brand specific pairing codes to connect soundbars to remote controllers.
If the soundbar comes with an IR receiver and you want to use a universal remote, you need pairing codes. Just a little setup with the code will help you to avail this facility. Now, let’s explore the most common method step by step:
- To start with, find the pairing code of your soundbar.
- Now, turn on your soundbar and your TV.
- Point the universal remote to your soundbar.
- You’ll see a SETUP button on the remote, which you need to press. A light will flash on the remote.
- Or, you can press the AUX and OK buttons simultaneously and then press the channel up button.
- Now, hold the button until your soundbar turns off. Again, press the AUX button to save.
- Then, you need to type the brand-specific pairing code into your universal remote.
- Doing this will successfully pair the remote and the light will again flash.
- Now, you can test your remote by pressing the volume keys.
However, there are other methods to use universal remotes. You may need to refer to your user manual for further assistance. The most important task for you is to find the pairing code.
Can you program a remote to a soundbar?
Yes, you can easily program a remote to your soundbar. The method is quite simple and fast. However, you need to know that the method may vary depending upon the brand and model number of your soundbar. The most common ways to program your remote is via IR technology, HDMI ARC and digital fibre optical cable.
Also, you need to know the pairing code of your soundbar. Without the pairing code, you cannot use the IR technology to program the remote. Usually, pairing codes have three to five digits. Here are some common pairing codes mentioned that might work for you.
- Bose: 4001, 5042, 4017, 1961, 31629, 31229, 31841, 30639, 31253, 30674
- Samsung: 32609, 22609, 21014, 20045
- Insignia: 21268, 12002, 10463
- Sony: 1345, 4029, 31759
- LG: 32676, 11993, 31953
- Vizio: 0883, 0660, 1517, 1144, 31293, 31517, 11144, 31975
If your soundbar is from any of the above brands, you can find the pairing code from the list. If you are still unable to find the pairing code of your soundbar, calling the customer care would be the best option.
You can also program your stock TV remote to your soundbar. For this method, your TV and soundbar need to have an HDMI ARC port. You need an HDMI cable as well. Here are the steps to follow:
- Plugin one end of your HDMI cable to your soundbar.
- Plugin another side to your TV.
- Now, turn both the devices on.
- Test if the connection is working.
- If not working, you need to enable the CEC option on your TV.
Following the above steps, you can successfully program your stock TV remote to your soundbar. For more information,
How do I program my universal remote to my soundbar?
Programming your universal remote to your soundbar should be effortless. There are various methods available depending upon your soundbar’s brand. Though you can choose among IR technology, HDMI ARC and digital fibre optical cable for programming, the best option will be using IR technology. Here’s how you can program your remote to your soundbar using IR technology:
- First, you need to find the pairing code of your soundbar.
- Now, you need to turn on both your soundbar and your TV.
- Then, point the universal remote to your soundbar.
- On your universal remote, you’ll see a SETUP button. Press it and a light will flash on the remote.
- Or, you can press the AUX and OK buttons at the same time
- Now press the channel up button.
- Hold the button until your soundbar turns off.
- Press the AUX button to save.
- Then, you need to type the brand-specific pairing code into your universal remote.
- Finally, test your remote by pressing the volume keys.
You can easily program your universal remote to your soundbar by following the above steps.
Paring codes vary depending upon the soundbar brands. You may call your customer care to know the pairing code of your soundbar. Or, you can check the list we have provided above. Without finding your pairing code, you won’t be able to program the remote.
Do universal remotes work with Samsung?
Yes, universal remotes work with most sound bars including Samsung. There are numerous soundbar models produced by Samsung. As technology has advanced, the configurations in these soundbars have evolved. Hence, the instructions of pairing remotes to Samsung soundbars might vary.
Also, pairing codes play an important role if you are programming your universal remote to your Samsung soundbar using IR technology. Pairing codes help you to connect your universal remote to other devices. There are specific pairing codes for your soundbar, TV and other devices. Usually, the same sound bar models have common pairing codes.
Samsung soundbars have five-digit remote codes that should work for universal remotes. These are: 32609, 22609, 32660, 31949, 21014 and 20045. These remote codes work on various soundbar models such as HW-FM55C, FM550, HE550, HW-HM45, F550, J450, HW-E450, HW-J450, HW-J650, HW-F450, WH-E450, HW-J355, HW-D450, HW-H550, HW-H7500/ZA and HW-HM55C.
Hence, you can try any of these remote codes to connect your Samsung soundbar with your universal remote. For example, if you are using Samsung HW-FM55C soundbar, you can try the remote code 32609 or any other from the above list. For further assistance, you can call Samsung customer care and they’ll be happy to help.
Can you turn on the Samsung soundbar without a remote?
Yes, you can turn on your Samsung soundbar without a remote. Nowadays, Samsung soundbars are designed for instantaneous connection with your TV. In other words, Samsung soundbars can automatically connect to your TV and subwoofers without a remote.
If your TV and your Samsung soundbar are connected via optical cable or HDMI, your soundbar will automatically turn on as you turn on your TV. It is because this connection enables the Auto Power Link. Hence, no need to reach your soundbar remote every time you watch TV.
Can I use a universal remote for Vizio soundbar?
Yes, you can use a universal remote for your Vizio soundbar. The method of pairing your universal remote to your Vizio soundbar may vary depending upon the model number. The most common method is by using IR technology. It is a technology that connects devices like TVs and soundbars to remote controllers.
To use IR technology, you need to know the pairing code of your soundbar. Usually, Vizio soundbars have four- or five-digit pairing codes. Some pairing codes that work with Vizio soundbars are 0883, 0660, 1517, 1144, 31293, 31517, 11144, 31975.
You can call your soundbar’s customer care to make sure which pairing code will work for you. Or, you can simply try the above codes to see if they work. Once you get the pairing code, here are the steps that you need to follow:
- To begin with, turn on both your soundbar and your TV.
- Next, point the universal remote to your soundbar.
- Now, you’ll see a SETUP button on your universal remote. Press this button and a light will flash on the remote.
- Or, you can also press the AUX and OK buttons simultaneously and then press the channel up button.
- Then, you need to hold the button until your soundbar turns off.
- Once your Vizio soundbar turns on, press the AUX button on the remote to save.
- Type the brand-specific pairing code into your universal remote.
- Finally, you can test your remote by pressing the volume keys.
You can easily program your universal remote to your Vizio soundbar by following the above steps.
Soundbars make a great addition to your home theatre system. If you own too many devices, using separate remotes for each device can ruin the experience. It is not user-friendly also. Hence, universal remotes can be the ultimate solution.
Just as we have mentioned above, it is absolutely possible to connect a universal remote to your soundbar. We have explained all the common methods that should work for your soundbar. The above methods are pretty easy and shouldn’t take more than four to five minutes.