Echo Dots have been around for a while now; of course, they are great smart home devices, but as I have been using them for a long time, I know the sound produced by them is not that strong.
However, you can amp the power of the Echo Dot by connecting it to a soundbar for a premium quality sound experience. You can either do this through Bluetooth or an AUX cable. Both of the methods are pretty basic and take only a couple of minutes. Besides, this article will also tell you how you can connect Sony Samsung and Bose soundbars with your Echo device.
Can you Connect echo dot to Soundbar?
Echo dots have been around for a while now. Though they are popular smart home devices powered by Alexa, they lack a powerful sound. Thankfully, you can connect them to your soundbar for a premium quality sound experience.
How to Connect Echo Dot to Soundbars
I have been using Echo Dot for quite a long time now and there are two ways to go about it:
- You can connect the soundbar to the Echo Dot using a Bluetooth
- Or an AUX 3.5 mm cable
Thankfully both the connection options are simple and easy.
How to connect echo dot to Bluetooth soundbar?
Echo Dot uses Bluetooth connectivity to pair with your soundbar. So naturally, you will need a Bluetooth-enabled soundbar for this. Thankfully most soundbars available these days are Bluetooth enabled, which makes the process easy.
The steps are pretty straightforward:
- Ensure that the Echo Dot is set up well and connected using your home Wifi Network
- Set the soundbar in the Bluetooth pairing mode
- Select the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone
- Go on to the Main Menu and select Settings
- Click on Device Settings
- Select the Echo Dot by name
- Click on the Bluetooth, which will point out the current pairings
- Go on to select the Pair a New Device option. At this stage, the name of your Soundbar will appear
- Select your Soundbar and pair it
Once this process is complete, you will have your soundbar connected to your Echo Dot wirelessly through Bluetooth.
In case you want the disconnect, you need to reverse the process you followed while connecting it.
- Open the Amazon account on your phone
- Go on to the Main Menu, select Settings
- Select the Echo Dot by its name
- Click on Bluetooth, which will draw up the current devices you have paired
- Remove the soundbar by selecting Forget Device
How to connect using AUX cable:
You can also connect your Echo Dot to your Soundbar using an AUX cable. Since all DOTS have an AUX output port and most soundbars have an AUX input port, this process is relatively easy to use and is extremely common.
The process that follows:
- Get hold of a 3.5 mm AUX cord. Ideally, it should have a decent length
- Go on to the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone
- Click on Devices from the Main Menu Setting
- Select DOT by name
- Click on AUX AUDIO, then either select Line In or Line Out
- Now connect the Aux cord to the Echo and the soundbar
However, some high-end soundbars might have a digital optical input, so what to do in that case?
Of course, you cannot use an AUX input in your digital audio connection. Though it might still be connected, the sound produced will be sub-par. Please note that Auxiliary inputs provide an analogue connection, whereas digital optical units offer a digital connection. This is because both the signals are entirely different. Whereas analogue signals are continuous, digital signals are not.
Thankfully, there are cables available that make and stabilize these connections. But in such a scenario, it’s often advisable to opt for a Bluetooth connection instead. If you don’t have a Bluetooth connection, you can use AUX to optical digital cord or connect your Echo Dot to another speaker.
Are any tools required for connecting the soundbar to the Echo Dot?
There are no specific tools that you will require for this purpose. You only need a proper Bluetooth connection in your soundbar; in other words, it should be a good Bluetooth signal catcher. If your device does not have powerful Bluetooth, you will face difficulties connecting to smart home devices like the Echo Dot.
Echo dots mostly have premium quality Bluetooth, so they function with all devices. However, make sure you don’t keep it more than 40 feet away. You can connect any device you want by getting it close to the Echo Dot. You can also place the soundbar in some other area to improve the sound quality.
Problems faced when connecting soundbar to Echo Dot:
There can be an issue with the Bluetooth if it’s connecting and disconnecting continuously. To solve this problem, you will first have to discover what is causing it and then connect the two devices. As a rule of thumb, try to keep the distance between the soundbar and Echo Dot short of establishing a stable connection.
Besides, the Aux cable can also cause problems. To evade this issue, try three small wire connections which produce a good sound quality.
I have been using Samsung and Sony Soundbar for some time, while I gifted my sister bose and sonos soundbar. We often use these soundbars with echo dot, let me explain how to connect echo dot with specific soundbars.
How to connect echo dot to Samsung soundbar?
Connecting your Echo dot with a Samsung soundbar is pretty straightforward.
To start the process:
- Select the Alexa app on your smartphone and go to Skills from the hamburger menu
- Now type in Samsung in the search bar and click on enable
- Following that, get into your Sound Touch account
- Select done when the device discovery message pops up
- At this step, you will be on the home screen
- Switch on the Echo Dot to the Bluetooth mode to run and scan for new devices on SoundTouch
- When the connection is established, the Echo Dot will appear on the home screen
How to connect echo dot to sony soundbar?
For starters, install the Music Center app on your smartphone and set it up by following the given instructions on the screen.
Note: To use the Amazon Alexa function, the software must be of the latest version.
- Now connect the smartphone or the Echo dot to the same network
- Run the Music Center App on your Echo dot or smartphone
- Set it up
How to connect echo dot to Bose soundbar?
To get this done:
- Sign in to your Amazon Account and go onto skills
- Go on to the search results and type in Bose and select enable
- Sign in with your Sound touch account
- Click on done when you see ” To continue to close the window to discover devices you can control with Alexa.”
- Click on Discover Devices to allow the SoundTouch system to be discovered
- Once completed, you will get on the home screen
- Turn on Echo Dot on the Bluetooth mode and run a scan for new devices on SoundTouch
- Once connected, the Echo Dot will appear on the home screen
How to connect echo dot to Sonos soundbar?
After setting up your Sonos soundbar, here are the following steps you need to follow to connect your Echo Dot to it.
- Go ahead, download and install the Alexa app on your smartphone. You will get it from the Google Play Store, Amazon, or from the Apple Store.
- Open the Alexa App on your phone and set up your Echo device.
- Click on Skills
- Search for Sonos in it and click on Sonos Skills
- Select Enable and sign-in to your Sonos account
- Go on to the Smart Home option in the Alexa app menu.
- Select the Devices and Discover option
Once the Sonno soundbar has been discovered, you can start using the Echo dot.
Echo Dot problems and solutions
Low Wifi connectivity:
For starters, try a hard reset on all the network hardware using your Echo Dot, followed by your router then your modem. Wait for 10-15 seconds for each of the components to get powered. Then try reconnecting again. Though Wifi connections can function through walls and floors, they don’t do well with physical obstructions. Thus, it’s better to get close to the central router location.
Alexa and smart devices:
Echo Dots are used by many to control their smart-home system. Though it’s compatible with thousands of brands, errors come up in setting the appropriate connection from time to time.
So, if the Dot fails to connect with your smart gadgets, there is nothing to worry about, as there are some quick fixes.
Click on refresh. Right on the Alexa app, delete and then re-add the smart devices you are facing issues with. If this too does not function, try hard resetting for both Dot and the device you are facing trouble with. Finally, reconnect and relaunch. If the Dot does not work with specific smart skills, try deleting the skills and re-add them again.
Alexa does not listen:
If you have used Echo Dot before, you know sometimes Alexa has trouble understanding what you say or may not hear you at all. This can often be an embarrassing situation; however, Echo Dot has a neat feature that can help you in this regard. Once Alexa is done with her response, ask her, “Alexa, tell me what you heard.”
Alexa will simply repeat what she heard. If it was not what you said, you could say it again, this time clearly. Such an issue can be solved with a bit of clarity and enunciation. You can also try Amazon’s voice training tool to increase the responsiveness of the Echo Dot.
Soundbars with Alexa compatibility
There are a few soundbars that are compatible with Alexa. We have listed the few top options for you:
Bose Soundbar 700:
This soundbar’s booming effect is sure to get your heart racing. It’s a sleek soundbar with a two-inch height, and its sound is off the charts. The device has both Google Assistant and Alexa built-in and has a vast range of capabilities. However, it’s only available in black and white, and there are no other colour options. The unit’s high-performance sound supports Dolby Digital band DTS audio.
Yamaha YAS 209:
This is yet another celebrated product when it comes to soundbars. Though all the soundbars from this brand are popular, the Yamaha YAS 209 separates itself from the other products with its in-built Alexa voice control. Besides, the unit also features a wireless subwoofer for extra deep bass. So you can place it anywhere you deem fit.
Unlike Bose, which is at a high price point, this one is in the mid-range and comes with DTS virtual X 3D surround sound.
This brand has some of the best soundbars in the market, and Beam is one of the best options if you are looking for an option in the mid-price range. To add to its features, it comes with a built-in Amazon Alexa. Though it’s a compact soundbar, don’t let its looks fool you, it produces premium-quality sound, which the brand is well known for. Finally, the soundbar is minimalistic and straightforward to use.
Polk Audio Command Bar:
Not only does this soundbar feature a built-in Alexa, but it also comes with an additional subwoofer. So, if you are planning to set up a mini home theatre, this is the right pick for you. In addition, the soundbar supports both Dolby and DTS.
Another exciting thing about this soundbar is that it easily pairs with Amazon Fire Stick, so now you can stream hundreds of songs and videos and even listen to audio stories on Audible. Finally, the soundbar lowers its volume automatically when you call out to Alexa so that she can hear you properly.
Besides how to connect your soundbar to Amazon Echo Dot, we have covered most of the things you need to establish a proper connection between your soundbar and Echo Dot. Be it Samsung, Sonos, or Bose, any soundbar you have can be connected with Echo Dot, provided the Bluetooth on these soundbars are strong enough.
If not, you can also use AUX cable and digital optics to connect a soundbar to the Echo Dot. Overall the process is fundamental; I hope you have fun!