Updating the software or firmware of your soundbar is essential. It helps you to improve the features of the device, fix bugs and add additional applications. As you update your soundbar occasionally, you get the benefits of the latest improvements. Here, we will show you how you can update your soundbar easily at home.
You can update your soundbar via a USB device or via the update app of your soundbar’s manufacturing brand. If you use a USB device, download the upgrade software on it and connect it to your soundbar for an update. Or, use the update app from your phone and connect it to the soundbar via Wi-Fi.
The process of update might slightly vary depending upon the manufacturing brand and the model number of your soundbar. You should leave the hubs, bulbs and accessories powered on before an update.
Usually, it takes 2-5 minutes to complete. However, it can take longer if your internet speed is slow.
How to Check Samsung Soundbar firmware version and Update it?
I have been using a Samsung soundbar for a long time. So, In that case I am the best person to provide information about it. First I will explain how to check the version of your soundbar, so that you know if it really needs any update.
how to check Samsung soundbar firmware version
You can check the Samsung soundbar firmware version by visiting Samsung Download Centre from your laptop or any other gadget. Or, you can do it from your smartphone using the SmartThings app. Here are the steps explained.
Using Samsung Download Centre
- If your soundbar supports USB connectivity and you are using a laptop or computer, visit Samsung Download Centre.
- Select your soundbar model number to access the support page of your soundbar.
- On the support page, you will get the latest firmware version. If there are multiple firmware versions available, choose the newest one.
Using SmartThings App
- If your soundbar supports Wi-Fi connectivity and you are using a smartphone, download the SmartThings app.
- Open the app and select your soundbar model number. Connect your soundbar with your phone via Wi-Fi.
- You will find the latest firmware version by navigating Information and then Firmware Update.
Finding the suitable firmware version for your Samsung soundbar is effortless as you follow the above steps.
how to update firmware on Samsung soundbar
As we’ve mentioned above, you can update the firmware of your Samsung soundbar either via a USB drive or via Samsung’s SmartThings app. First, let us explain to you how you can do it with a USB device.
Using USB Drive
- Open Samsung Support from your computer, laptop or any other device that has a USB port. On Samsung Support,
- Search for the model number of your Samsung soundbar.
- Then, you need to download the file, unzip it and create a folder with the file name.
- After you’ve downloaded the software, copy it to the USB drive.
- Now, turn your soundbar on and connect the USB to the soundbar’s USB port. The update will start immediately. It should take three to four minutes and once done, your soundbar will display UPDATE.
- You can control the update and the entire operation of your Samsung soundbar from your mobile phone by using the SmartThings app.
- For an update, connect your soundbar to the Wi-Fi network using SmartThings. Open the app on your mobile and select the soundbar.
- You’ll find the More options icon at the top right corner of the app. Now, you need to select Information and then Firmware Update. Select Update Now and the process will start. Once done, it’ll show UPDATE.
how to check and update LG soundbar firmware
LG has an extensive range of soundbars that are equipped with the latest technologies. If you own an LG soundbar, updating it occasionally will help you to enhance its features. Here are the steps of checking an LG soundbar firmware.
- To start with, you need to press the Start button of your soundbar’s remote. Usually, LG informs you about updated versions at the bottom right corner of the Home screen.
- If you want to manually check for the latest firmware, find the Settings menu on the Home screen.
- Once you’ve tapped the Settings button, a window will show up. Select Others from the window and then, select Software.
- Now, you will see two options: Information and Update. By choosing Information, you will get to know the current firmware version of your soundbar and the latest updated versions available.
- If you want to go for an update, choose the Update button. If no update is available, the same information will appear on the screen.
Can I update my Sony soundbar?
Yes, you can absolutely go for an update with your Sony soundbar. Sony recommends you use the Internet while updating the device via Wi-Fi. Else, you can use a USB drive and your PC for a manual update. Here are the steps explained.
- If you are using a USB drive to update your Sony soundbar, prepare the USB flash drive. The updated software is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Mac OS X operating systems.
- First, read and agree to their terms and conditions. Then, download the updated zip file, extract it and a new folder will be created named UPDATE.
- Transfer to the UPDATE folder to your USB drive.
- Connect the drive to your soundbar’s USB port.
- Turn on the soundbar and choose Software Update from the Setup menu. The update will start and you see the message UPDT on the front panel display. When completed, it will show DONE.
Using Wi-Fi or Ethernet Cable
- If your Sony Sound Bar has Wi-fi you just need to connect the soundbar with the internet.
- Then go to Setup> Software Update> Update via the Internet and press Enter, That’s it! You are done
- This method requires an Ethernet cable to connect your Sony soundbar to the internet. Connect your soundbar to the Internet and your TV. Turn your soundbar on, press HOME on the remote and the Home screen will appear.
- Now, simply navigate Setup> Software Update> Update via the Internet and finally press Enter. Select OK/ENTER and the update will start. The process will take 5-6 minutes. When completed, you will see a DONE message on the screen.
How do I update the firmware on my Vizio soundbar?
Usually, Vizio informs you about available updates occasionally. If you want to automatically update your Vizio soundbar, keep it connected to the Internet using the Vizio SmartCast mobile app. Or, you can manually update the device using a USB drive. Here are the steps explained.
- If you use your mobile phone to directly update your Vizio soundbar, download the Vizio SmartCast mobile app.
- Next, choose the Wi-Fi setup mode from the menu button of your remote. When paired successfully, the front LEDs will begin to cycle.
- Then, go to Devices Settings on the app and tap the Add New Device button.
- Navigate the Settings > System > Check for Updates buttons and then select Yes. The update will start and take up to 30 minutes.
- Once the process is completed, the power LED will remain on. This is how you can update your Vizio soundbar by using your smartphone.
PRO TIP: Vizio soundbars usually power off during the update process. Hence, it is recommended not to turn the device manually on in that phase.
Pairing your soundbar with your smartphone using Wi-Fi is the best option for updating the firmware. However, you may also choose to do it manually by using a USB drive. You need a laptop or a PC to update your soundbar using a USB drive.
The methods of update explained above will surely help you to update your soundbar. These methods are only applicable for the soundbar models that have been designed till 2021. As the technologies will evolve, the update methods will be subjected to change as well.